Bachelor of Science at The University of Newcastle
The program can be completed over one year of full-time study or part-time equivalent. Courses are offered on a semester basis, i.e. two semesters per year. The Bachelor of Science (Honours) is offered at Callaghan and Ourimbah Campuses.
Please note that specialisations are not available at both campuses.
The specialisations of Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Earth Science, Geography and Environmental Studies, Photonics and Physics are available to students at the Callaghan campus.
The Marine Science and Sustainable Resource Management specialisations are available at the Ourimbah campus only.
The Psychology specialisation is available at both the Callaghan and Ourimbah campuses.
The Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC) approved sequence in Psychology is no longer available in this program. If you have a 3 year APAC accredited psychology qualification please apply for the accredited Bachelor of Psychological Science (Honours)program.
The University of Newcastle
1 years full-time or part-time equivalent up to 3 years maximum.
February and July
- On successful completion of the program students will have:
- In-depth knowledge and ability appropriate to undertake further study and research in a field of science.
- Ability to develop, conduct and manage a research project.
- Critically and independently reflect and analyse project results.
- Ability to communicate a convincing and reasoned scientific argument at a level and style appropriate to the audience and to report scientific findings in an oral and substantial written format.
- Ability to work on an advanced scientific activity both autonomously and collaboratively.
- Awareness of professional practice in the relevant discipline and an understanding, appreciation and respect for appropriate conduct and practice.
Supervision from a discipline academic must be sought before submitting your application.
To be admitted into the program applicants must have completed the Bachelor of Science or another cognate degree within the last five years with a minimum GPA of 5.0 in:
- all studies undertaken in the program; or
- across a major in the proposed discipline of study; or
- across 80 units of 3000 level courses (which must include at least 40 units of 3000 level courses in the major where a major exists); or
- where the applicant has completed less than 80 units at 3000 level, a GPA of 5.5 calculated from at least 60 units of 3000 level courses (which must include at least 40 units of 3000 level courses in the major where a major exists).
In exceptional circumstances the above requirements may be varied with permission of the PVC upon the recommendation of the Head of School.