Bachelor of Visual Communication Design at The University of Newcastle
The Bachelor of Visual Communication Design (Honours) degree is a one year full-time (or equivalent part-time) program designed to allow students to further specialise to an advanced level of professionalism and academic achievement. It also provides a pathway to Research Higher Degree studies.
The University of Newcastle
1 years full-time or part-time equivalent up to 3 years maximum.
February and July
- On successful completion of the program students will have:
- Be capable of identifying and using relevant technical, theoretical and practical domains of knowledge in their design research and practice.
- A well-developed and critical understanding of various theories of design and their relationship to design history, design practice and broader histories and theories of culture and knowledge.
- A well-developed exploratory and creative approach to the methodical use and development of their design skills and visual literacy.
- The ability to work independently and/or collaboratively, in a professional and ethical manner, in exploring design situations and producing high quality design outcomes.
Applicants must have successfully completed a Bachelor of Visual Communication Design or equivalent program with a minimum GPA of 5.0 (credit grade average) calculated from:
- Across the entire degree program; or
- Across a major in the proposed discipline of study, if that degree program includes such a major; or
- Across 80 units of 3000 level courses (which must include at least 40 units of 3000 level courses in the major where a major exists); or
- Where the applicant has completed less than 80 units at 3000 level, a GPA of 5.5 calculated from at least 60 units of 3000 level courses (which must include at least 40 units of 3000 level courses in the major where a major exists).
In exceptional circumstances, the above requirements may be varied with permission of the Head of School and Pro-Vice Chancellor.
No more than two years must have elapsed since completion of the undergraduate degree.
Application for the Bachelor of Visual Communication Design (Honours) program is made directly to the University using the End–On Honours Application Form
Domestic applicants who are not current University of Newcastle students must submit the End-On Honours Application Form and the Direct Admission Application Form
International applicants must submit the End-On Hours Application Form and the International Application Form
An applicant for admission to candidature must have completed a Bachelor of Communication or equivalent program with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 5.0 (credit grade average).